Port
Laggan Locks, Scotland
Laggan is a small village in the Great Glen, in the Highland region of Scotland. In Gaelic it means "hollow at the field of the ridge".

Laggan is often considered to be two separate settlements, North Laggan and South Laggan, about one mile apart, both situated between Loch Lochy and Loch Oich. The Caledonian Canal passes by Laggan, linking these two lochs. Laggan Locks, a flight of two locks, connects the canal to Loch Oich. It is 15 miles in length and 1.5 miles in breadth and is exceedingly deep with bold, rocky shores and surrounded by woody mountains.

The main A82 road between Glasgow and Inverness passes through Laggan, crossing the canal at Laggan Swing Bridge.

The Great Glen Way long distance footpath passes by Laggan, running alongside the canal and following the old railway line.

In Scottish history, the Battle of the Shirts was fought nearby in July 1544.

The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway once passed by Laggan. This line opened in 1896, with Invergarry railway station situated at North Laggan. The line closed to passengers in 1933 and to freight in 1947.

This area is peaceful and scenic and is frequented by hunters and fishermen.


Cruises here are on River Boats and today these are mostly luxury 5 star boats with all the comforts of top hotels and many of the facilities of cruise ships. Cruises generally commence in Spring (March) and the main season ends in September/October, however a limited number of cruises are available up to Christmas and New Year.

General Information:

Currency: Euro, British pound
Language: English, Scottish Gaelic and Scots
Time Zone: No UTC/GMT offset
Dial Codes: +44 (UK) + (Laggan - 01809)
E-Brochures