Port
Flatley Island, Iceland
Flatey is an island in Skjálfandi bay located about 8.7 kilometers from Húsavík, in northern Iceland. Its name in Icelandic means "flat island"; its highest point is only about twenty two meters above mean sea level, hence its name. It is two and a half kilometers long and 1.7 kilometers wide. It is the fifth largest island around Iceland.
Flatley was settled in early historic times. Today there are only a few buildings on the island. The most important of them are: a schoolhouse built in 1929, an ancient church shut down in 1884, a lighthouse built in 1913 and rebuilt in 1963 and a radiotelegraph made in 1931.

Tourists are attracted to Flatley for the excellent fishing opportunities in Skjálfandi Bay. They are also attracted by the great number of bird species living there. Thirty of the thirty-seven species of bird in Iceland are found there during the breeding season - puffins, terns, whimbrels, and plovers are examples of birds found there.

Things to See & Do

* Fishing
* Bird watching

General Information

Cruise Season – May - Oct
Currency – Icelandic Krona (ISK)
Language – Icelandic
Land Area – 4.25 km²
Population – 0
Electricity – 2 round pins European style
Time – GMT plus zero hours
International Country Telephone Code – +354
E-Brochures