Port
Port Lockroy, Antarctica
Port Lockroy is a natural harbour on the Antarctic Peninsula of the British Antarctic Territory. After its discovery in 1903 by the French Antarctic Expedition it was used for whaling and British military operations (Operation Tabarin) during World War II and then continued to operate as a British research station until 1962.

In 1996 Port Lockroy was renovated and is now a museum and post office operated by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust. It is designated as Historic Site no. 61 under the Antarctic Treaty and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Antarctica. Proceeds from the small souvenir shop fund the upkeep of the site and other historic sites and monuments in Antarctica.

Things to see and do

* Gentoo penguins
* Seabirds
* Seals
* Icebergs

Cruise Season – Nov - April
Currency – Pound Sterling (GBP)
Language – English
Population – 0
Electricity – 2 vertical square pins and one perpendicular below British style
Time – UTC plus five hours
International Country Telephone Code – + 44

Port Location - The preferred site is on the west side of the island next to the whalers’ mooring chains. When this is not accessible, an alternative is located on the north side of Goudier Island opposite the boat shed.

Transport Links – Cruises to the Antarctic Peninsula generally depart from Port Ushuaia, Argentina. There are daily Aerolineas Argentinas flights from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. LAN Chile (through its LAN Express services) flies a few times a week (currently three) from Santiago de Chile, stopping over in Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas.
E-Brochures